Wednesday 16 September 2015

Day 77: Kitchen Stuff Part Three, or, Defrosting a Frost-free Fridge

As I explained in Kitchen Stuff Part Two (back in June if you want to view it), the refrigerator is in a weird place, sort of up on stilts on the back of the stairwell (the stairs, because our house is on a hill, go down). And although the fridge was replaced once, sometime back in the 70s, it has not been since.

In the previous post, I showed you the extensive collection of refrigerator magnets, but not the fridge's position in the kitchen. Since then I took a series of photos of it, but I will have to add them later as I cannot locate them. (And if anyone can tell me how to get Windows to stop scrolling through folders of photos at 90 MPH - I have googled, with no success - I might be able to post more often! One used to be able to click on the arrow and it would go down one screen, but that no longer works. Holding the scroll box or clicking below it, which also used to make it go down one screen, also revs the engine. I hate Microsoft. But nowadays, I kinda hate Apple too. Don't start me on iTunes!)

A short while later: I found the fridge photos! But only after I had stopped looking for them; I was actually looking for another photo that Windows had scrolled by at 100 MPH (never did locate it) and it stopped on the fridge. But I shall leave my problem above in case anyone can advise:




And now will show you the stairwell, and you will know why the ceiling juts out so; there is a fridge on the other side! From around 1973, there was a poster of the Hang in there, baby! kitten; I took it down when I was visiting in the early 00s as it had become quite battered, but I wish I had taken a photo of it...

Oh, here we go:


Anyway, here's the stairwell:




From this view, I can kind of almost see why Coco, the dog I was sitting recently, and who lives in a one-storey ranch house, was intimidated by these stairs, although they aren't that steep:



But what I do have for you is a demonstration of one of my father's favorite pasttimes, clearing the ice from the bottom of the freezer! As I explain in my narration, he used to have to do this weekly, or at least every other week, but I have only had to do it twice in the past year! (Cue Twilight Zone music...)



No comments:

Post a Comment