Tuesday 17 November 2015

Day 107: Young Miss Part One; Insect Collecting for Pre-Teen Girls!

When I was a "pre-teen", I had subscriptions to three girls' magazines, Young Miss, American Girl, and Teen. I think this was partly because we always had magazine subscription drives at school. I think my Teen subscription only lasted one year, and AG, two, but I unearthed about five years' worth of Young Miss magazine. As you can see they were far from pristine; I was not a fan of Donny Oddsnob, as I called him:


Young Miss was aimed at the slightly younger crowd; not so much about dating and popular music, more about crafts and TV shows; more fiction. I liked the crafty stuff though I do not recall making anything from the magazine. We already had butterfly thingies on the bottom of our bathtub and I didn't have enough "kneeling jobs" to need a "knees ease"!



And with all the moth crystals in our house, I didn't really need a box for mothballs! As for the film spool shelf, I don't really understand what they mean by "film spools"! Not a really practical display thing anyway in earthquake prone California...



Young Miss had no color photographs inside (just some one-color illustrations), but they had some groovy covers:



When did they stop selling Santy Panties?!



I wish they still had Lemon Up shampoo and creme rinse!



With a Lepidopterist father, I did not need these instructions either, but found it completely amazing that a young girls' magazine would show complete details of how to make a killing jar and mounting board for dead insects! I wish I had found these magazines last year so I could have shown my dad, although I am pretty sure I must have done so back in the day.



Cleansing fluid?! My father used cyanide!





Super Cheek Gel, Jungle Bubbles and Creme Rinse becomes Conditioner!



The first flavored lip glosses:



No comments:

Post a Comment