Sunday 29 November 2015

Day 111: My Career in Calligraphy

Well, not exactly a career, unless you count two temp jobs. I put calligraphy as an additional skill when I registered with agencies in the 90s, and had one job writing over and over all day "I [heart] SAN PEDRO" for buttons (this was in the early days of that I [heart] thing), and one job addressing a few hundred envelopes for a charity function at the Beverly Hills branch of Saks Fifth Avenue. (I remember doing one for Johnny Carson.)

But these photos are from the calligraphy class I took in the early 80s. Before that I had bought some pens and taught myself. I'm a little out of practice, but can easily get up to speed if anyone wants to hire me for wedding invitations or something! I did throw out my nibs as they were rusty and my inks as they had all dried up (yes, they were still in my kit at John Street; I gave Luke the case, which was my childhood sewing box) but I can always run down to Aaron's...

We had to do a poem in italic:
 





The finished version:




Yes, I know I have not spelt Haagen Dazs correctly! But it was not my fault; the calligraphy instructor wrote this on the board and we were meant to copy each line in various fonts. It was actually the first time I ever heard of Haagen Dazs, which has a weird spelling anyhow.



I made myself some letterhead:





One week we were assigned to do a Father's Day card. I felt that this font deserved a bit of Deutsch. I would have given my father the final version; these are the practice ones:



No comments:

Post a Comment