Monday 30 November 2015

Day 112: Salt and Pepper Shakers

My grandmother (my dad's mother) had a big salt and pepper shaker collection, housed in two glass cabinets in her Oak Park home. The summer after she passed away my parents helped clear the house and my sister and I got to take some home with us. I do remember that some of my favorites had been claimed by some of her friends, but I did come home with quite a collection, some of which are pictured here. 

These are probably my favorites. They must be cats, though they look a bit doglike in the nose and ears. That is a salt and pepper set behind them on the right, a mother bear and her two cubs, and I must have a photo of it by itself somewhere which I shall have to add later on.


 

My grandfather grew up in Anaheim, California, and when he and my grandmother visited his relatives, they liked to eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. I think this salt and pepper set is from the very early days of Knott's Berry Farm (and Ghost Town) in Buena Park. The fawns rocked back and forth and probably only held enough condiment for two people max. But did anyone ever use these things for the purpose for which they were made?

 

Pass the cheese, please...

 


Another favorite; Bambi and his girlfriend, Felice:



Oops, these aren't salt and pepper shakers; just a mama deer and her fawns, which were attached by chains to her. But they were also my grandmother's.




"Oh-oh-oh-oh-klahoma, where the salt and pepper shakers come on a silver platter..."

What's that about?!



How often do you see cats in this yoga position?




"London swings like a salt shaker do..."


"Pepper stroll by walking two by two..."












No comments:

Post a Comment