Wednesday 6 May 2015

Day 26: Odd Things Around the House Part Two

I think my sister took this salt and pepper set, which we found when going through boxes and cupboards, and might have belonged to my grandmother. I don't remember ever using it, but I love it. The dog's tongue is a spoon.





We found these giant oil drums in the storage area under the house. They were filled with moths, of the collected kind, hundreds or thousands of them in paper envelopes. I will write more about the details of moth collecting in a further post. I put the empty drums by the front door, and I liked the way they looked there, but they disappeared over the holidays. I think my brother might have taken them, but I haven't remembered to ask.



This was one of my father's favorite posters. I think he and my mother bought it on a trip to Denmark. It was last hanging on the side of a filing cabinet near the foot of his bed; it would have been the first thing he saw every morning and one of the last things he saw on his last day. It was a bit battered as it had never been framed, just taped up, but not as badly as this; my brother ripped it down and I rescued it from the recycle bin to take a photo.







I was not the only person to rescue things out of the recycle bin. This purple folder once contained a purple floral stationery set. It was sent to me as a gift from my East German pen pal in the late 70s. I used some of the writing paper and envelopes, though it was pretty cheesy. The remaining paper had yellowed so I threw the whole lot in the recycle bin when I was visiting one year. My father fished out the folder and used it for well more than a decade. He might have used the paper as well; he was known for writing most of his correspondence on hotel stationery. Anyway, I found this among his papers and snapped a photo before I returned it, once again, to the recycle bin.



Some papers relating to my grandparents were found in this Knott's Berry Farm box.




1 comment:

  1. Love the design on the Knott's box...old-timely fun. :D

    ReplyDelete