Thursday 9 July 2015

Day 59: The Dead Pen Pal Box Part Three

Part of a very typical first pen pal letter, early seventies. Chicago, Three Dog Night, Jim Croce or John Denver were more usual faves than Alice Cooper. Dig the Flower Power envelope!


Desert Hot Springs is north of Palm Springs:

"We see Movie stars sometimes because my dad works on cars and he gets peoples cars like Elvis Presley, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Libarache or how ever you spell it!

It isn't very fun out here though because they'res hardly anything to do."


I think this is the first letter, not from a relative, I ever received. Diane was not a pen pal but a girl I used to play with and sometimes stay with when I went up to Tom's Place in the Sierras with my dad (one of his favorite collecting spots). She had a pet burro.

Here's a photo of us we just found:

Diane, the burro, and an unusually tanned me.

I think the boy in the blue shirt was Diane's brother.


My guinea pig Charlotte never had any babies. This was not surprising since she lived alone in her hutch.
 Some important questions on the back of this envelope. I guess I sent back the pen pal file sheet as well as the Tic Tac Toe game, as they weren't in the envelope.



It gets better: "My gerbils names are Trixie, Pixie, Dixie, Fixie, Tixie, Bixie, Cixie and I haven't named the fish.

I have never been to California before. My mother and father went to California this summer they said it was Great. But to HOT!!" (This chick lived in FLORIDA!)


Ah, the seventies! Patchwork, buttons and bright colors... And yet another way to misspell my last name...


" It's been so long since I've written and I lost all your old letters so I kinda forgot what you were like and everything." (After another letter or two, she stopped writing permanently.)




This writing paper was round, but for some reason would only scan as a square.


Green-eyed Soul

"I have blonde hair, green eyes, freckles and all that stuff."

"I'm one of three girls called Peace, Soul & Love. I'm Soul."

"I run a wild, and hectic, and fun life."


No comments:

Post a Comment