Wednesday 15 July 2015

Day 64: The Dead Pen Pal Box Part Four

"This is a really bad letter." The pen pal version of a Dear John letter. Gayle and I had written to each other for a couple of years; I can't remember if I was mad, but I do love how she closes with "Friends always", and almost gloats about the horse I would never see nor even hear about!



 In the same envelope, Gayle sent me this stupid chain letter. Of course I didn't do it (twenty copies?!) - I never once did one of these. I am not sure what happened on the fourth day, but I did not lose any large sums of money in 1974.

Actually, let's look closely at this thing. You are to receive good luck "in the mind"? What does that mean? "Send twenty (20) copies of this letter to people you think need good luck." Twenty copies each?! What' the A.R.S. office? What prayer? I don't understand the General Walsh thing. He ignored this thing; his wife croaked, and then he won $775K! Double indemnity?

 Ronda is sorry. So she decorates a flower with my name.


But the envelope this letter came in was something else:



Marsha lived on a farm in Kansas. This was about the length of many of her letters, but this one ends suddenly. Or more precisely, does not end.

And hark - what's this?

"No I don't speak any other languages. Except the language of love."



I obviously pointed out that she had not finished her letter in my reply, and asked for an explanation of the language of love:



"The language of love is when you just look into someone's eyes and your eyes say what you want to say. Why did you ask me that question anyway?"

Wow, a five hour motorcycle ride; I hope he had a Harley! (She was 12 here, by the way.)

"Well, I better go now. It'll be Thursday in about 2 minutes."

 ********************************

I didn't often stop writing to pen pals and the few times I did, I matched them up with somebody else. I continued to receive letters from my name being printed in the Archie comic book for a couple of years, and a 14 year old boy wrote to me. I matched him up with Martha.

I do hope Marsha and Bill Phillips had a long and prosperous penpalship. And, if they ever met, that he spoke the language of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment