Tuesday 14 July 2015

Day 63: Yet More Photos Taken In and Around the House

We just found a pile of photos that my mother had put in a box. Most were ones that had been sent or given to her by friends and relatives, or shots she took around the house to use up a roll of film. But there was also the odd Poloroid, or extra prints.

My parents looked after their friends' the Schumann's kitten for three weeks in the late 90s. I helped, once I returned from petsitting somewhere else. I am trying to remember his name! He is on the bar, next to the pachinko machine. That's my pink hat and a Christmas card (with the cat face) below him.


 I was 5000 miles away when many of these photos were taken. At some point in the 90s my parents bought a thermal pool cover. My father was very particular about the way one should put it on or take it off, which was a bit maddening at times. But at least he finally realized you didn't really have to get in the pool with all your clothes on to do it!


At some point the back fence was painted green, and the butterflies came down. I have no idea what happened to them.



You can see the "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree in its planter on the right.



Here it is in use, in 2003 if the date on the print is correct. It lasted five or six years, maybe more.


While we're at Christmas, this was on the wall behind the little tree:



And here's my mom addressing her Christmas cards in the dining room. This was marked 1996 on the back. I think these were photos sent by a holiday houseguest that year. By the way, that white birdcage thing is still there in the upper corner, and that silver bauble thing is still hanging from the lamp.



Slightly out of focus mom, in same position but showing the kitchen. You can see the bulletin board next to the fridge; I can assure you that some of the contents are the same, 18 plus years later. That was my grandmother's china cupboard (Anyone out there have need of one?); we were just washing most of the contents this past weekend.



Here my dad is wearing the shirt I showed in a previous entry. He's in the den, my brother's old room, and you can see part of his vast 78s collection and my equally vast Barbie and snowstorm collection. Behind him is a mounting board with some softened insects pinned to it. That desk was later moved to the bug room; it was my childhood desk from when we lived in Gardena.


No comments:

Post a Comment