Sunday 7 June 2015

Day 39: Stuff on the Walls Part One

There are a lot of things on the walls here, mostly hung by my mother.

This guy has been on the wall as long as I remember, in the dining room at the Gardena house, and in the hallway on John Street. At Christmas my father would hang a little bauble from the guy's hand... (Oops, sorry, I think it's a woman!) You can still see a tiny hole there.



I am not sure where this folk art came from; the Carribbean maybe? It's embroidery. Okay, I just looked and there is an article about Panamanian art taped to the back. I was half right. My parents went on a cruise through the Panama canal, and they must have acquired it there.



 This print of Rauol Dufy's The Harvest is from the Tate Gallery.


My parents went to Kenya and Tanzania in the 80s when my brother lived there. My mom would have taken these photos, Kilimanjaro on top.



 Poster from an exhibition my mother attended on a trip to Chicago.


 
This metal embossed owl is also in the hallway, and I have no idea where it's from.



Moving into the upstairs bathroom we have another Dufy print. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)



My brother made this in seventh grade. This bathroom door opens into my parents' bedroom and my father's wardrobe hung on these hooks for the last few years of his life. (My mother would not have tolerated such laziness and used the hooks for bathrobes and towels only.)



 Finally, here's another photo from Africa; I believe it's the watering hole at the lodge in Tsavo National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment