Monday 15 June 2015

Day 45: On the Couch

When we moved here in 1972, our green tweed living room couch from Gardena was put in the family room, and my mom bought a new plush grey high-backed number. That one moved down to the family room in 1984, when my mom bought the wood-framed sectional that still resides in the same spot today. It's not the most comfortable couch, as the fabric is scratchy and it's got hard wooden arm rests, but that hasn't stopped people from dozing on it. This shot of a sleeping beauty was from a dinner party I threw in 1984:


This was from the same dinner party. Perhaps it was my company, or my cooking.



Kevin Wood wasn't at that dinner party, but here he is during another party, downstairs. That's the 1972 couch, which is still in the same position today. You can also see the rotary phone, a collection of National Geographics (those are gone, surprisingly), part of my record collection (The Only Ones, The Fifth Dimension, and I can't make out the middle one), my beloved Soviet poster of a cowboy Reagan riding a nuclear warhead (nod to Kubrick; that poster was ruined in a flood), part of an LA Rams lamp I just recently got rid of, and a comic done by my friend James from Bournemouth, with whom I have lost touch.


Back upstairs in the living room, here are the kids on and around the new couch, Thanksgiving 1984, just before I moved to Leeds. My parents had recently been to Australia so the koalas were on the couch. That's my Aunt Harriet in the background, along with Charlie Schumann, a friend of my parents.





My mom had those drapes custom made in 1972. I finally replaced them last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment