Sunday 21 June 2015

Day 49: More Stuff of my Father's

My father never traveled without his briefcase. And he traveled a lot, especially after he took early retirement from Hughes.




His metal flip-down desk at which he sat using the foot of his bed (this was mainly before my brother and sister moved out, as after that he had both a den and a "bug room") was similarly covered in stickers and photos, but my brother ripped them down before I could take a photograph.

If you're a big or tall man who likes 1970s vintage geometric print nylon shirts, get in touch! I'm selling this shirt of my dad's on eBay. I don't think he wore it much as it's in pretty good condition.




This is my father's childhood teddy bear. He has been in the same spot, next to the Pachinko machine, for the last couple of decades, or longer. I used to put some Elvis shades (which I was given for my 1999 birthday at Gracelands Palace) on him, but somebody kept removing them, and then they disappeared altogether! He's still celebrating Mardi Gras, though. (That's me to the left of his shoulder.)



This framed photo of The Band, with a newspaper clipping in the corner, hung next to my dad's closet, and then in the Bug Room, for many years.


 My father drank his coffee black, and drank it all day. Hence he preferred plastic mugs, as the handles wouldn't get too hot. He used this one for a long long time.


 This one he took in the car. I got him a similarly shaped Starbucks travel mug, which he used daily for the last five years of his life, but he never once used the lid. Lids were for sissies.

















I gave him this flexi-disc for his birthday in the late seventies. There were only a limited number of names available (on sale for ten cents!), but one was Ron. It's not the traditional birthday song; it's cornier. I will have to record a video of it; I know a few other Rons...









2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Ella. particularly like your dad's bear, but that shirt looks pretty hot as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone put a bid on it today! Would have offered it, but it would have been a tent on you! x

      Delete