Saturday 27 June 2015

Day 51: Mid Century Modern Doll Houses

Long gone are both my groovy and colorful Barbie modern town house (complete with a hanging swing chair) as well as the wooden doll house my father once made for me (along with the four-poster pink canopied bed that Barbie's too long legs stuck out the end of), but the following items were lurking in the back of my closet.

Many people might remember Mattel's Thingmaker. You poured Plastic Goop into metal molds and cooked them till they turned to firm rubber to make insects (Creepy Crawlies), Flower Power daisies (Fun Flowers) or horror characters (Creeple People). But not many people probably remember the Dollymaker. (Note: After I wrote that I checked eBay, and Mattel apparently revived the Dollymaker in the early 80s. It seems my kit (which I no longer have) and the house below are extremely rare. But so rare I doubt anyone wants them!)

I have not come across any rubber dollies (or rubber clothing!) I made, nor any bugs or flowers, but I found my Dollymaker doll house. Here's the path to the MCM front door:


And an aerial view:

Another view:



Strange there was a toilet when you couldn't see one on American TV!

 
I do like the sunken living room...



Next up, a Skediddle Kiddles Pop-up Town. Yes, a town with only one house. (At least they aren't claiming to be a city, JC...)





The Skediddle Kiddles all had different contraptions in which they travelled. Therefore they needed roads. And a helicopter landing pad! (But don't ask me where the latter is...)


 
Maybe it's on the roof, which flips open to reveal a sundeck.



 Let's take a look inside...


Quite a fabulous lamp atop that television console... Matches the roof!



 And oh, that floor!



No comments:

Post a Comment