Saturday 27 June 2015

Day 52: Stuff On and Around the Piano

I haven't taken a photo of the piano itself. I'm kind of sentimental about it; it was my mother's from before she got married in the late 50s. I took my first piano lessons on it (from Mrs. Callahan, starting at age 6) and I pounded those keys around three hours a day in the mid 70s, in a bid to become the new Keith Emerson. But when UCLA's School of Music rejected my nerve-wracked audition (Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition, which I knew backwards and forwards), I slammed the cover shut. The last few times I tried to play that piano it was so out of tune and I was so out of practice that I became depressed.

It obviously would be even more out of tune now and probably affected by the damp problem in the family room, but I haven't done anything about contacting a charity to take it away cause it's covered with objects that would look silly or forlorn on the floor. I have already shown you a few of them in "Some of My Own Stuff Part One", but here are some more:

Limited Edition Vanna White doll surrounded by some of my mom's bowling trophies. (I myself have never won a trophy for anything, though I have won a Halloween costume contest, many pub quizzes and once was crowned Miss Gazarri.)



A better view of Vanna...


When you learned a number of songs or advanced a grade, you would be awarded with a composer from Mrs. Callahan. Hey, that's like a trophy, isn't it? I had a lot more than these two but they are the only ones remaining on the piano. I used to pronounce their names "Chop in" and "Beat hoven" until I knew better.


Beethoven always looked so stern. I figured he must be pissed off, not being able to hear his own music.


Even a sexy Misfit cozying up to him does not change his expression...



Yes, it's Pizzazz of the original Misfits, along with the somewhat-boring-in-comparison-except-for-that-jacket video director, Video.




This is a small handbag I bought at the World's Largest Gift Store in Las Vegas in 2000. It's not very practical as a handbag, but I guess I can stick the composers in it when they go into storage.


 I prefer old-fashioned snowdomes/shakers/storms, with snow and images of foreign places but they are getting harder and harder to find. I don't buy many these days. My brother gave me this one for Christmas a few years ago.To its right you can see a German dwarf dude with his head out of water that my German pen pal gave me in the 70s.



I'll leave you with Batgirl. She moved off the piano to the bar, in order to make a call and play a few rounds of pachinko next to the lava lamp. She must have become a bit overly excited as her mask is askew.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gazzarri's was a nightclub on the Sunset Strip. They had go-go dancing contests; I won twenty bucks and the right to wear a Miss Gazzarri's banner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazzarri's

      Delete