Tuesday 14 April 2015

Day 13: Odd 'n' Ends from the Bug Room Part One

Most family homes do not contain a "Bug room", but then again, most people do not have a father who is an insect collector.

When we had an extension put on our Gardena house, one tiny room that was added on was christened the Bug Room. It was full of cases of moths and mounting paraphernalia, but it also contained photos of the moon (taken by Surveyor, which my father worked on in the 60s), a hockey puck my dad had once caught, a giant yoyo I liked to play with, and my father's "Army Chapstick", a tube which still contained a bit of the stick dating from the early 50s.

The John Street house was much bigger, but didn't have a ready-made Bug Room, so my father utilized his own bedroom, the family room and the garage to work on his collection. Then, in the mid 80s, my sister's old bedroom became the new Bug Room.

I found this box when I was clearing out some stuff from there.


I first pulled out this lovely double photo frame. Wasn't sure it had ever been used.


Then an envelope labeled POGO MOBILE. My dad was a big Pogo fan and this hung from the ceiling in the bug room in Gardena for a while.


I think the Miracle Grip has long ago lost its grip. In fact it would be a miracle if it hadn't!


Most of the strings and wires are now missing but the pieces are in decent shape, for colored cardboard.



 And then I found... the hockey puck!! My dad used to demonstrate how, when he was at an LA Blades game, he just reached up and caught it in his bare hand.



Here's the yo-yo. It was the only yo-yo I could ever really do. It was kind of grubby but scrubbed up nicely.






What's in this box?

It's NOT a baby spoon...

It's a coffin!!!


I guess the rest were casualties...

A rusty barrette















My dad acquired a lot of letter openers, but this one can double as a lethal weapon!
 I am only halfway through the contents of the box, so there will be a part two... But just in case you're wondering, I never found the Army Chapstick...

No comments:

Post a Comment