Tuesday 28 April 2015

Day 21: Stuff on my Shelves Part Two

My most eclectic, chaotic shelf: More snowdomes, suffering in the California drought, some blown glass doo-dahs that belonged to my grandma, china box and cedar box, both graduation gifts from my dad's cousin (Vinton Dearing; he was one of my professors at UCLA) and Moms and Pops (Sonny and Bob) Winter, a marble egg - no idea where that came from, a couple of tikis, Bigfoot lurking, Scottish bagpiper dude caught in bottle, Nightmare Before Xmas bookmark, fossil from Knott's Berry Farm, armadillo from Mexico, jeweled elephant from my former colleague Anu, polished stone, small cactus on another stone, and a few miniature breakfast items (for humans and dogs.)




 My sister and I were given the Japanese ladies after my parents visited San Francisco (they never made it to Japan) when I was around ten. Mine is the one on the right, which lost its lid (I have no idea how, as it has always resided on these shelves as far as I can remember, though maybe not!) My sister was getting rid of hers so I took it to replace mine, but then Little My objected so I let her perch. The painting is of Pirandello (Six Actors in Search of a Character) and is by my much missed pal Tomata.



I mentioned that my brother lived in this room for a while; he left behind his Snoopy.



These things were mostly given to me - the interactive singing Ella doll (??!) and the Trailer Trash Barbie by Mary Rat, the Barbie thing, the Grand Funk Big Gulp cup and the Petsmart dog (half out of picture) by my brother.



The contents of my Hopeless Chest are on display, waiting for the time I might have a bathroom big enough to display them.



The gold art deco watch I found at the Spitalfields flea market for one pound. ONE POUND!! I was doubly thrilled because it is exactly the same, apart from not being silver, as my grandmother's watch, which I lost in 1989 when I was mugged in Leeds. (It was in my handbag.) I was triply thrilled by the fact that it worked! For about three weeks. One of these days I'll have to spend the money to get it fixed.



Various objects crowd the corner bit of the to of the dresser. Yes, that is a full set of All My Children collector cards, atop ones of Ren and Stimpy, Barbie and Dark Shadows, next to a set of Alice in Wonderland tarot cards. I collect squashed pennies; my passport is full. I used to love Zen cologne and not just because it came in a black bottle. That's a little white rabbit out of focus bottom left, and that blue mark on the yellow back board has been there since the late 60s, but I cannot remember the back story.


No comments:

Post a Comment