Friday 10 April 2015

Day 9: Partytime on John Street, Part One

I was kind of famous for my pool parties, which I held throughout the 80s, and at which no one ever seemed to go into the pool, although the occasional person might be thrown in, not to mention the occasional beach chair or ketchup bottle.

Speaking of throwing, I also threw some memorable holiday or birthday parties, and I'll cover those another day.

In 1989 I returned to LA for a six-month visit after three years in exile in Leeds, and threw a big party at the beginning of summer. I wanted to invite Rob "Graves" Ritter, but no one could locate him. Later in the summer when I saw Thelonius Monster, he climbed the chain link fence surrounding the Palace (stupid security wouldn't let me go backstage!) and begged me to have another pool party. I did, and Rob didn't show, and in fact I never saw him again, as he died before I next returned to LA.
 
End of summer, 1989. I saved this scan as "Rob's Party".


Sorry, didn't mean to get so morbid on you, but so many guests at various parties are no longer with us! The last pool party I threw was in the summer of 1994. My invitations had become more and more elaborate and this one took the most effort:

1994, at the end of my long post drama school visit

I wish I had saved one of the above that I had photocopied onto pink paper!

I have a lot of pool party photos, but at the moment can only locate these ones. (I must organise my scans better!)  I also need to find my early 80s invitations...

The much missed David Wiley and much adored Michael Uhlenkott, 1982


The back of Mike Livingston and yours truly, in 1984. It wasn't too warm, so I was wearing trousers.

Bill Raden and Ed Horneij, summer of 84

I was back here in the summer of 1997, housesitting for the Housden's parents, but my own parents were away so I decided to throw a party. No big invitation, but I invited everyone from the old days. I had three guests: Dez Cadena, Al Hansford, and his future wife, Jessie. I never tried again. But who knows, summer is coming - is it time for one last bash?


No comments:

Post a Comment