Thursday 22 October 2015

Day 101: Childhood Books That Survived Flinging - Golden Books


When I was very small and riding in the back seat of our station wagon, I discovered what fun it was to fling my storybooks, one by one, out the window. I was too young to understand that I would never see those books again and although I probably only lost about five of them before a grown-up noticed what I was doing, I remember the lost books were some of my favorites.

Still, I was surprised to see just how many of my original books were still in the house, and how well I remembered a lot of them. Golden Books were the type that I flung, and I shall start with them.

I don't think this title needs any introduction. Of course it was inspired by the song, but came out before the Rankin/Bass stop-motion television special, for which, the first couple of years, we would need to go to my grandmother's house to see, as she had a color television (and we didn't!)




 My favorite movie, when I was young, was Lady and the Tramp.



 


Scamp was their offspring:






Where is the Poky Little Puppy? Hiding in a boot, as you can plainly see on the cover! It was not much of a mystery...





Another favorite film; I remember watching it at the drive-in, just as in the film the dalmatians watch a movie at  a drive-in.




I have been trying to figure out, or remember, with no luck, what my numbering system was for my books. This one has number 4, but it originally was something else, a backwards 3?



The Littlest Snowman liked to collect different colors and flavors of ice cream cones. At one point they melt into his snow and he becomes sort of psychedelic. I loved snow when I was little, or rather, I longed for it as it was so exotic, but something about snowmen, including Frosty, who came to life creeped me out. Don't you think the littlest snowman looks a bit of a shady character? He certainly had a pair of beady eyes! And he wore his heart between his sleeves! Frosty went around claiming to love anybody and everybody too; perhaps I was wisely wary of these indiscriminately loving snowmen. (Why were there never any snowwomen?)




Maybe snowmen just weren't furry enough. I certainly liked little furry creatures.





 Hildy goes missing. It turns out she is hiding away on a couch in the attic, upon which she has her kittens. I guess they didn't get her fixed in time.




No comments:

Post a Comment