Friday 9 October 2015

Day 89: More Photos Taken Outside the House

I just found the copy of Manhattan Beach 90266: A Pictorial History, which I gave to my father a few years ago. We were astounded to see this photograph on page 63:




That is the only photograph of an empty lot in the whole book, and that is our lot! The house was built the following year. The telephone pole in the foreground is still there near the driveway and the next one seen further down is still there at the end of the lot, over the fence from the pool. The street you can see is 19th Street and I believe the houses that are showing are on Oak Avenue, the nearest street to Sepulveda Boulevard. I have no idea what that big building is on the left though.

Anyway, in a few weeks our house will look like that again, except the lot will no doubt be surrounded by a green fence and the background will be vastly different.

Here's the view from the back deck, I think from the 90s. It's facing northeast and there are not as many three-storey McMansions, but you can get an idea of how the area was built up. You can also see the mountains, which is unusual!


This is from the deck facing south across 19th Street. This would have been in the mid 70s and I am holding Tabitha.



The same direction later on, in color.



My mom, on the other end of the deck, facing north.



Back out in the front, here is my sister.




 I can't place this car!


 But I think this one must belong to my Aunt Harriet... That pine tree she's parked in front of is huge now.



My brother on the corner, looking west. That's the telephone pole you can see in the 1956 photo. In the background on the right, you can see the Richards' house. When they moved it was torn down and a fake Italian villa went up, currently being rented for twelve grand a month.







And here's my sister's boyfriend, Jerry Sully.




And I know I've posted this one before, but here it is again to prove that something about our front yard seems to cause people to do goofy poses and faces.


No comments:

Post a Comment