Thursday 15 October 2015

Day 95: Books, Books and More Books Part Three


My father's parents had saved all my father's childhood books, and when we visited Oak Park we brought them all home with us. Here are some volumes from three series: Billy Whiskers (about a goat), Uncle Wiggly (about a rabbit), and Freddie (about a pig). The "J" sticker on the bottom book was attached by my father; it seems he had a lending library system for his books. His mother had a degree in Library Science.





Here's Uncle Wiggly, presumably at the fair, with the monkey-doodle man.



I had a lending library system too. I would tape half an envelope within each book to hold the check-out card. I didn't have many customers, but I had a date stamp at the ready!



If you borrowed one of my inherited books, you would also receive a book mark, made by yours truly. I would paste photos or stickers on the cardboard that came from the cleaners in my dad's shirts.



In case you can't read Roman numerals (I was so precocious that in second grade I once did all my math homework using them), it's copyright 1940.



If anyone wants to check it out, let me know! The card's still there.



All my childhood books had book plates.









 This series was my favorite. And although I liked the television series, I was disappointed that it did not follow the books.




 Someone wrote in my book - KL + DO. It certainly would not have been me; I hated Donny Osmond! But I would have been the one to cross it out in blue ink.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment