Thursday 15 October 2015

Day 94: Stuff on the Walls Part Six - Around the World

This is the rack where my mom's guitar used to hang. I don't know what happened to it! That lei, which may or may not be from Hawaii, has been hanging there for a while, and that fan has been on that wall for a really long time. You can see it in lots of old pictures. It might be from Japan, though my parents never made it there. Maybe it belonged to my paternal grandparents, who travelled a lot, or maybe it was a gift as it has a butterfly on it. At any rate, it is very old and now has a big hole in it - you can see the outline of it in the photo. I am looking at it in real life right now and it is gaping even further!



I am fairly sure I acquired this feather mask from a Twelfth Night celebration at Janet Cunningham's, sometime in the mid 00s. At some point my mother hung it on the wall.



I might hazard a guess that these were obtained in Holland.



Lace "painting" from somewhere in Europe.


Not sure where this was from!



Only the one wearing the shoe can know where it pinches! (Old Swedish proverb roughly translated...)









Well, this one is obviously from Costa Rica!



And this one from the land down under, naturally...



From somehwere in the Caribbean...



From some Nordic land... This is how my mother had it hanging on the wall!


Woven basket, probably from Kenya.



String art!



Sand painting


Always keep a tomahauk at hand...


Far eastern embroidery





From New Zealand:




I've been here! But so have my folks; my mother bought this plate at the equator monument in Ecuador.



My mother bought this wall hanging in Australia. Note the little koala climbing up the right side.



Feel free to grab some percussion off the wall in the corner...


My parents' last big trip together was to China, and I believe this was a souvenir.


No comments:

Post a Comment